This is the 1st of 5 Articles MPEC decided to create to help you get to know your mind a bit better. They have been inspired by the Netflix Series The Mind: Explained
All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students the confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. Below, you can find some questions and vocabulary you need to speak in English about THE HUMAN MIND AND HOW TO FOCUS
Hey there, mpec People! This is your Conversation Club Handout! To fully benefit from the Conversation Club, you should watch the Episode How to Focus. If you don’t have access to Netflix, no panic! We’ve got your back! You can watch this short video on the same topic instead!
PART 1: Warm Up
- Are you usually easily distracted or do you find it easy to stay concentrated?
- Does background music help you to stay focused on your work? Why ? Why not?
- Do you structure your daily schedule? How?
Key words to express your opinion: To be honest…. Actually….
- move the focus: change, move, redirect, shift, switch People should shift their focus away from material possessions to personal fulfilment.
- keep the focus: maintain Maintaining our focus on our values is crucial to the success of the company.
- put the focus on something: bring something into, place, put, throw something into The case brings into focus the importance of patients being able to make fully informed decisions about their care and treatment.
Part 2: Your Current To Do List
- What are you currently focusing on at work?
- What are your personal tasks for tomorrow?
- Who do you know who manages their To Do List differently from you? What do they do that you don’t?
- How easy/difficult is it for you to leave an unanswered email for the following day?
Key expression: to batch something (batch your emails for instance) means to arrange (things) in sets or groups.
PART 3: Imagine…
- Would you consider not using a smartphone anymore? What would your life feel like?
- If you had to choose only one social media app which would you choose, and why?
- It’s now illegal for bosses to text workers after hours in Portugal – what is your opinion on this new law and would you like a similar one to be approved in your country? Why? Why not?
DID YOU KNOW THAT…
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals. Live English Courses via Streaming
Self Study Suggestion:
Watch the video (Netflix or You Tube) again.
Keep the subtitles on and try to make a list of 7 new expressions you find useful for your communication needs in English
Share your list with the other MPEC students and actively try to use the new words for a full week