All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students confidence to approach any topic or idea in English.
Below, you can find the questions and vocabulary you need to speak about HOW TO START CONVERSATIONS IN ENGLISH IN ANY SOCIAL CONTEXT.
Hey, MPEC People, this is your Conversation Club Handout!
Part 1: Conversation Starters For Any Situation
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Have you done anything exciting lately?
3. What made you smile today?
4. How did you meet the host?
5. What’s your favorite form of social media?
6. What was the last good book you read?
7. Do you listen to any podcasts? Which is your favorite?
8. What do you think is the best show on Netflix right now?
9, Have you been on any interesting trips lately?
10. What do you think has been the best movie of the year so far?
11. What song do you wish you could put on right now?
12. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
13. Do you think you’re an introvert or an extrovert?
14. If you didn’t have the job you have now, what would you be?
15. What’s your strangest hidden talent?
16. What is something people are always surprised to learn about you?
17. What is the most rewarding part of your career?
18. Where do you want to be in five years?
19. What superpower do you wish you could have?
20. Where would you go on vacation if you had no budget?
Part 2: First Time You Meet Someone Conversation Starters
1. Are you having a good time?
2. Why did you come tonight?
3. Was it a pain for you to get here tonight? (sth is a pain = difficult, complicated)
4. I love that shirt/jacket/dress/shoes. Where did you get it?
5. What hobby do you wish you had more time for?
6. Do you know a lot of people here?
7. What are you reading right now?
8. What’s your favorite restaurant around here?
9. What’s the next exciting event you have coming up?
10. Doing anything fun this weekend?
11. Do you have any pets?
12. What’s one interesting thing about yourself no one really knows?
Part 3: For A Deeper Conversation
1.What are your long-term goals?
2. Who is your role model?
3. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
4. What is your biggest regret in life?
5. What are the top three things on your bucket list?
6. What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?
7. What is one thing you wish you could do that you know you probably never will?
Do you need help with topic-specific vocabulary?
We understand that speaking in English can be stressful. So, if you feel like you may need some vocabulary to help you during the Club Session, please download our Vocabulary Card ahead of connecting in Zoom!
Did You Know…?
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals.
We recommend that you watch this short video as self study after the Conversation Club Session you’ve just attended