Ciao, studenti di inglese! Siete stanchi della tradizionale settimana lavorativa di 5 giorni? Bene, questa lezione è per voi! Discuteremo una recente notizia sulla possibilità di una settimana lavorativa di 4 giorni. Imparerete nuovo vocabolario, migliorerete le vostre competenze di comprensione e sarete, speriamo, motivati a spingere per un migliore equilibrio tra vita lavorativa e personale nella vostra carriera!
Ideale per: B1 (Intermedio) and B1+ (Intermedio Stabile)
So, are you ready to learn some new words today? Here is some context to what we will be doing today.
What is the 4 Day weekend debate all about?
Reading & Vocabulary practice
The 4-day weekend debate refers to the discussion surrounding the idea of introducing a 4-day workweek, where employees would work for four 10-hour days instead of the traditional five 8-hour days.
The idea of a 4-day workweek has been gaining popularity in recent years, as many people believe it could provide several benefits. For example, proponents argue that a 4-day workweek could lead to increased productivity, improved employee morale, and a better work-life balance. Additionally, it could help reduce traffic congestion and carbon emissions, as fewer people would be commuting to work each day.
Some companies have already implemented a 4-day workweek, with positive results. For example, a New Zealand-based company called Perpetual Guardian conducted a trial where employees worked for four 8-hour days per week, and found that productivity increased by 20% and employee stress levels decreased. Despite these potential benefits, there are also concerns about the feasibility of a 4-day workweek. Some critics argue that it could lead to longer working hours and burnout, while others worry about the impact on businesses, particularly those in service industries that require employees to work traditional business hours.
KEY VOCABULARY EXPLAINED
- Proponents – people who support or advocate for an idea or proposal.
- Productivity – the ability to produce or achieve something, usually in relation to work or business.
- Morale – the level of confidence, enthusiasm, and satisfaction that people have while working together as a group.
- Work-life balance – the amount of time and focus an individual gives to their work and personal life, and the way they manage to balance the two.
- Feasibility – the likelihood that something is possible or practical to achieve, especially when considering its cost, time, and other resources.
- Burnout – a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by long-term exposure to stress, particularly in relation to work.
- Service industries – businesses that offer services to customers rather than producing goods or products, such as healthcare, hospitality, and retail.
Let’s watch the BBC news that inspired us to prepare this lesson for you. You will find two follow up exercises below and some key vocabulary as well.
B1 Glossary :
Here are some key words from the video. Are they new to you or have you seen or used them before?
the period of time during which someone works, typically from Monday to Friday.
the ability to adapt or be adapted to changing circumstances or needs.
the state or quality of being productive, or achieving a significant amount of work done in a given amount of time.
to put into effect or action; to carry out.
a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress.
a person with whom one works in a profession or business.
Ready to check how much you understood?
Go through our exercises with your Coach or as a part of your Self Study Time. You can check the answers to each question below. Best of luck!
- What is the news story about?
- What is the proposed change to the workweek?
- What are the potential benefits of a 4-day workweek?
- How are some companies implementing this change?
- What are some concerns about a shorter workweek?
What’s the missing word for each of the following sentences?
- The 4-day workweek proposal aims to improve ________ and give employees more time for their personal lives.
- Some employees experience ________ when they work long hours and don’t have time for self-care.
- The proposed change would allow for more ________ in the workplace.
- Some companies are already ________ a 4-day workweek and seeing positive results.
- However, there are concerns that a shorter workweek could lead to decreased ________ and less pay for employees.
If you want to find out more about our courses, visit Live English Courses via Streaming
Shhhh ! I’m the ANSWER KEY 🙃
- The news story is about the possibility of a 4-day workweek.
- The proposed change is to shorten the workweek to 4 days instead of the traditional 5-day workweek.
- The potential benefits of a 4-day workweek include improved productivity, increased employee satisfaction, and better work-life balance.
- Some companies are implementing a 4-day workweek by allowing employees to work longer hours on their workdays and giving them an extra day off.
- Some concerns about a shorter workweek include decreased productivity and less pay for employees.
Fill in the blanks:
- The 4-day workweek proposal aims to improve productivity and give employees more time for their personal lives.
- Some employees experience burnout when they work long hours and don’t have time for self-care.
- The proposed change would allow for more flexibility in the workplace.
- Some companies are already implementing a 4-day workweek and seeing positive results.
- However, there are concerns that a shorter workweek could lead to decreased productivity and less pay for employees.
#EnglishLesson #B1Level #BBCNews #FourDayWeekend #WorkLifeBalance #Productivity #TimeOff #KeyVocabulary #ComprehensionExercises #FillInTheBlankExercises #AnswerKey #LearnEnglish #FunLearning #Motivation #LanguageSkills #MultinationalCompany #BossCommunication