All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. Below, you can find the questions and vocabulary you need to speak about THE RENAISSANCE in English.
Hey there, mpec People! This is your Conversation Club Handout!
PART 1: Warm Up
- What do you know about the Renaissance?
- Is the Renaissance important in Italy? Why? Why not?
- Do you remember anything about the Renaissance from school?
Useful Vocabulary: Vocabulary to speak about The Renaissance can be found in this short video:
PART 2: Renaissance in England means… Shakespeare!
- What (if anything) do you know about the English playwright William Shakespeare?
- How many of Shakespeare’s plays can you name?Do you know which ones are comedies, tragedies or histories?
- Have you ever seen a Shakespeare play performed at a theatre?
- If yes…Which play did you see?
- Where did you see it?
- When did you see it?
- Which language was it performed in?
- What do you remember about the story?
- Did you enjoy it?
- Did you understand it?
- What was the setting?
PART 3: Let’s Zoom In On the Details!
We will have a short Role Play. Are you ready?
You are a Tourist Guide and you are in Florence, with a group of English-speaking tourists. They will ask you some questions about The Statue of David and your role is to give them short, specific answers. Hey, do not worry! We have your back! Click on this SECRET LINK and you will find a lot of interesting Facts about this Renaissance Work of Art!
Student B (and C):
You are an American/Irish/British/Canadian Tourist visiting Florence for the 1st time. You and your Guide are now in front of the Statue of David and you could not be any happier! You have always admired this sculpture and now have sooooo many questions you want to ask! Below, you can find a set of elements to form 6 questions you can ask your guide!
- How /tall/be/he
- How much/do/he/weigh
- What/be/the meaning/the statue
- Be/there/copies/the statue
- Be/he/suppose/to be/here/from the start
Not sure if you asked the right questions? You can verify them here: LINK
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals.
Self Study Suggestion:
Here’s a video that discusses the wonderful work of Italian Renaissance – Michelangelo’s Statue of David, which waits for us in the political heart of Florence, in Piazza della Signoria. We hope you enjoy it!