In this week’s club, we are talking about “The Human Body”- This is a great moment to get to know the other Conversation Club members, and to practice speaking a wide variety of arguments, which will also help you increase your vocabulary and improve your comprehension skills.
All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students the confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. In this week’s Club, other than practicing speaking English, our goal is to find and learn new vocabulary and put it to use immediately…
Important Vocabulary & Useful Expressions
- To learn something by heart: To memorize
- To pull someone’s leg: To joke with someone or to tease someone.
- To get cold feet: To get nervous before a big event.
- To let your hair down: to relax & have fun.
- To break/fracture a bone
- To tear a ligament/tendon/muscle
- To pull a muscle
- To twist your ankle/wrist
- To sprain your ankle wrist
- To dislocate a joint
- To disinfect a wound/cut
- To put a plaster on a cut
- To put a bandage on (your hand)
- To wear a sling (to hold your arm still)
- To get a cast (on a broken arm/leg)
- To be on crutches (to help you walk)
- To heal / get better
Talking about injuries
Whether through sport or accident, most of us have suffered some form of injury at some time.
- Have you ever broken or fractured a bone? Or maybe torn a ligament or Tendon? Maybe you’re lucky and have only every sprained or twisted an ankle? Tell us your story and what you had to do to get better.
- Are you the type of person who heals quickly, or do you need to be careful and make sure you recover fully before doing anything else?
Changes in our bodies
- People seem to be getting taller and taller, why do you think that is?
- Are we as healthy as we were in the past? Are we treating our bodies well enough?
- With advances in science and technology in recent years, doctors are able to treat and repair many more injuries than in the past. What do you think doctors will be able to do in the next 50 years?
- Have you heard of any new technological treatments that sound like something from a science fiction movie?
- Would you allow doctors to perform any of these new treatments on you or your loved ones?
- When is the last time you had to learn something by heart? Do you still remember it?
- How often do you let your hair down?
- Have you ever gotten cold feet? What happened? Were you able to do what you needed to do?
- When was the last time someone pulled your leg? Tell us about it.
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals. Live English Courses via Streaming
Self Study Suggestion:
Here is a the first of 5 videos (from a TED playlist) talking about advances in growing parts of the human body.