In this week’s club, we are talking about “Summer Holidays”- This is a great moment to get to know the other Conversation Club members, and to practice speaking a wide variety of arguments, which will also help you increase your vocabulary and improve your comprehension skills.
All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students the confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. In this week’s Club, other than practicing speaking English, our goal is to find and learn new vocabulary and put it to use immediately…
Expressions related to the Summer!
- To travel on a shoestring – this is used to say that you are travelling with a very small budget, spending as little as possible.
- To make hay while the sun shines – means to do something while the opportunity to do it exists.
- To take a shine to someone – means to begin to like someone, often in a romantic way.
- A summer fling – usually a holiday romance, short, sweet & temporary.
- To soak up some sun – means to lie in the sun and enjoy the feeling of the sun’s rays on your skin.
- Boiling / Scorching / Sweltering / Torrid – these are all different ways of saying the same thing: Terribly hot.
Tell us about your childhood memories
- When you were a child, did you always go to the same place with your family or did you change every year? Tell us about the places.
- Which idea do you like more, always going to the same place or changing every year? Why?
- What is your best/favourite memory from your childhood holidays?
- Do you have any friends today that you met when you were on holidays as a child?
- Describe your typical summer holiday.
- If you could choose any holiday you liked, where would you go and what would you do?
- In general, do you prefer, sea, countryside or mountain holidays (In the summer)?
- What do you like doing when you are on holidays? Do you prefer to relax, or to see the sights, or something else?
Summer Holiday Activities
- What activities do you do when you go on your summer holidays? Boat trips? Water skiing? Food/wine tasting?
- Are there any activites that you would never try? What are they? Why?
- Is there something you have always wanted to do but have never done? What is it?
- Do you think the prices for summer holiday activites are fair, or do you think the organisers charge too much?
- Are there any activites that you think are boring, or simply not your cup of tea*?
*It’s not my cup of tea = It’s not the type of thing I like.
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals. Live English Courses via Streaming
Self Study Suggestion:
Would you use this app on holidays? Would you like to live an experience like this?