In this week’s club, we are talking about ‘Doing THE Shopping’ – which means going to the supermarket, the butcher’s or the Baker’s to buy the necessities. It is often confused with ‘Going shopping’, which is used to describe when we go to the city centre or large shopping centres to buy clothes, shoes and various other things.
All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students the confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. Below, you will find vocabulary, expressions related to doing the shopping as well as questions that will oblige you to use the same vocabulary immediately!
Hey there, mpec People! This is your Conversation Club Handout!
PART 1: Warm Up
- Do you prefer to do the shopping at the weekend, or a little bit every day? Why?
- Do you do the shopping at the supermarket or in small local shops? Why?
- Do you like doing the shopping alone?
PART 2: Big Picture
- Do you ever talk shop? Or do you know someone who tends to talk shop a lot?
- When was the last time you were all over the shop? What happened?
- Can you think of a time you or someone you know put all of their eggs in one basket? What happened?
- At the supermarket, what usually sells like hotcakes?
PART 3: Let’s Zoom In On the Details!
- Supermarkets are killing small local businesses. Do you agree? Why / Why not?
- Where do you get better quality meat products? At the supermarket or at the local butcher’s?
- Do you prepare a shopping list before you go to do the shopping? Or do you find yourself all over the shop when you go?
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals. Live English Courses via Streaming
Self Study Suggestion:
DO YOU KNOW HOW MYCH PLANNING AND PSYCHOLOY GO INTO SUPERMARKET LAYOUTS AND ORGANISATION? FIND OUT HERE.