In this week’s club, we are talking about ‘D.I.Y. – Do It Yourself’ – which refers to the work you do at home without hiring a professional, e.g. putting up shelves, painting a room, fixing a leaking tap etc. We will see vocabulary and some idioms related to this topic and discuss a number of questions.
All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students the confidence to approach any topic or idea in English. Below, you will find vocabulary, expressions related to D.I.Y. as well as questions that will oblige you to use the same vocabulary immediately!
Hey there, mpec People! This is your Conversation Club Handout!
PART 1: Warm Up
- Have you ever done any D.I.Y.? What?
- Do you (or did you) enjoy it? Why / Why not?
- Is it better to call a professional?
- Are there things we should never do ourselves?
PART 2: Big Picture
- Does where you live make a difference for D.I.Y.? How?
- If you don’t have the right equipment, should you try anyway?
- Do you need outdoor space for D.I.Y.? Why do you think so?
PART 3: Let’s Zoom In On the Details!
- Considering the many building laws and regulations, is D.I.Y. a dangerous activity?
- Should there be a limit of what we can do by ourselves?
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals. Live English Courses via Streaming
Self Study Suggestion:
D.I.Y. Basics – a video in English explaining some of the basics of D.I.Y. – Watch it HERE