All mpec courses are based on Conversation, Communication and Interaction and our main goal is to give our students confidence to approach any topic or idea in English.
Below, you can find the questions and vocabulary you need to speak about FORMAL AND INFORMAL SITUATIONS
Hey, MPEC People, this is your Conversation Club Handout!
Part 1: Informal Situations
Instructions: Try to sound as informal as you can when speaking with your partner about the following questions:
- If you had more free time, what would you do with it?
- Tell me about some good places to hang out in your city/town
- Why are they good?
- What are your plans for the rest of the week?
- What will you do this weekend?
Not sure how to sound informal? Check out our List of Latinate & Phrasal Verbs
Part 2: Sounding Formal
Instructions: Try to sound as formal as you can when speaking with your partner about the following questions:
- Do children in your country ask for their parents’ approval before they get married? Why or why not?
- Does the whole family discuss important decisions?
- When do children leave their parents’ home in your country?
- When do parents’ stop giving financial support to their children?
- Who in your family would you turn to if you had an emotional problem? Why?
- If you had a financial problem, would you expect your family to help?
Part 3: Let’s play with the verbs a bit, shall we?
Instructions: You need to speak for 1 minute about any of the following topics (choose any topic you want) Decide if you want to sound FORMAL or INFORMAL and based on your decision try to use as many verbs as possible from the Formal / Informal Column of the VERB LIST . Once you’ve finished, it’s your partner’s turn.
But wait! Your Partner cannot choose a new topic! He/she needs to speak about the same topic you have chosen, but if you were formal, they need to be informal and vice versa!
- Can you tell me about something you love?
- Can you tell me about something you hate?
- Can you tell me about something you really care about?
- Can you tell me about someone you dislike?
- Can you tell me about a dream you’ve had?
- Can you tell me about a goal you have?
- Can you tell me about yourself?
- Can you tell me about your childhood?
- Can you tell me about your family?
- Can you tell me about your your parents?
- Can you tell me about your pet?
- Can you tell me about something you believe in?
- Can you tell me about a place you’ve visited?
Do you need help with topic-specific vocabulary?
We understand that speaking in English can be stressful. So, if you feel like you may need some vocabulary to help you during the Club Session, please download our Vocabulary Card ahead of connecting in Zoom!
Did You Know…?
All mpec students are welcome to join our Conversation Club Zoom Sessions which take place every Tuesday, 6pm to 6.30 pm and Thursday from 1 to 1.30 pm from October to June. If you are not a part of the mpec community yet, please get in touch with us and we will partner with you to create the right course for your needs and goals.
We recommend that you watch this short video as self study after the Conversation Club Session you’ve just attended