Come state? 🌟🗺️ Benvenuti al nostro Conversation Club, dove oggi si tratta di salvarvi la vita all’estero! Nostro materiale vi fornirà il vocabolario essenziale, i phrasal verbs, le espressioni idiomatiche, le domande per chiedere le indicazioni, le keywords per capire cosa vi stanno dicendo le persone che avete fermato per strada e anche un gioco di ruolo per un po’ di pratica reale prima del vostro prossimo viaggio. Mettiamoci in cammino per la nostra avventura! 😎🚀
Prepared with love by: My Personal English Coach
Ciaaooo! Solo due parole di aiuto per coloro di voi che stanno iniziando l’esperienza nel nostro Conversation Club e non si sentono molto sicuri
Non preoccupatevi, siamo qui per voi!
Immediatamente sotto troverete il vocabolario che vi può servire per parlare con i vostri Club Partners (altri alunni di MPEC con i quali sarai messo in coppia per le conversazioni guidate)
Se avete voglia e tempo – seguite il consiglio numero 1 dell’immagine a sinistra e fate un review di tutti i ‘language bits’ che pensiamo vi possono essere utili. Siamo i Vostri Coach e vi conosciamo bene! Sappiamo che usare Idioms & Phrasal Verbs può essere una vera sfida, dunque sono spesso proprio questi gli elementi di linguaggio che vi proporremo 🙃
Dopo la preparazione (trovate sia il vocabolario che le domande delle conversazioni che vi proporremo oggi su questa pagina), vi invitiamo a participare nella sessione di Club. Avete ricevuto una mail con il ZOOM link per la sessione:
I martedì ci vediamo dalle 19.00 alle 19.30 e i giovedì, dalle 13.00 alle 13.30. Se non avete ricevuto la mail, scriveteci subito!
Se volete fare più pratica dopo la sessione del Club, potete tornare qui per fare l’attività di Follow Up (in fondo alla pagina). Siete Pronti? Iniziamo!
B1-B2 Keywords for Travellers
- Sightseeing 🏰🌟: The activity of visiting and touring places of interest or landmarks in a city or region for leisure and enjoyment.
- Sight 👀: What one sees or can see; the ability to see; a view or scene, especially one of particular beauty or interest.
- Tourist Attraction 🏰🌟: A popular place of interest that attracts visitors from around the world.
- Landmark 🗼🏛️: An iconic or historically significant feature that serves as a point of reference.
- Navigate 🧭🗺️: To find one’s way or plan a route to a destination.
- Locate 🌐🔍: To find the position of a place on a map or in the physical world.
- Follow 🚶♂️🔜: To go in the direction indicated.
- Intersection ➕🚦: The point where two or more roads meet.
- Directions 🗺️📍: Instructions on how to reach a specific destination.
- Ask for Help 🙋♂️🆘: To seek assistance or guidance from others.
- Tourist Information Center 🏢📚: A place where travellers can get helpful advice and maps.
10 Idioms (with definitions and sample sentences)
- Hit the road 🚗🛣️: To begin a journey or trip.
- Sample Sentence: It’s time to hit the road and explore the scenic countryside.
- Get your bearings 🧭🌐: To become familiar with your surroundings and know where you are.
- Sample Sentence: After arriving in the new city, take a moment to get your bearings before heading out.
- Off the beaten path 🚶♀️🌿: To go to a less popular or touristy area.
- Sample Sentence: For a unique experience, venture off the beaten path and discover hidden gems.
- Around the corner 🔄🏰🌉: Very close; just a short distance away.
- Sample Sentence: The restaurant is just around the corner from the main square.
- On the right track ➡️✅: To be progressing in the correct direction.
- Sample Sentence: With the map’s help, we knew we were on the right track to the famous beach.
- Lost in the maze 🔄🏞️🤷♂️: To be confused and unsure of which way to go in a complex or unfamiliar area.
- Sample Sentence: Without a map, we got lost in the maze of narrow streets in the old town.
- In the middle of nowhere 🚗🏜️🏞️: In a remote or isolated location.
- Sample Sentence: The cabin we rented is in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by beautiful nature.
- Follow your nose 👃🚶♂️: To go straight ahead by relying on instinct or intuition.
- Sample Sentence: There are no signs, so just follow your nose, and you’ll reach the waterfall.
- Go off the map 🔄🗺️🏞️: To travel to an area that is not shown on conventional maps.
- Sample Sentence: Adventurers love to go off the map and explore uncharted territories.
- Around the bend 🔄➡️🚗: Just up ahead; not far away.
- Sample Sentence: You’ll find a charming cafe around the bend, perfect for a coffee break.
Here come 10 Phrasal Verbs You May Need To Give / Understand Directions
- Turn into 🔄➡️: To change direction and enter a different street or road.
- Sample Sentence: At the traffic light, turn into Main Street, and you’ll find the museum on your left.
- Go along 🚶♀️🔜: To continue moving forward in a specific direction.
- Sample Sentence: Go along the riverbank until you reach the bridge.
- Pull over 🚗💨: To move a vehicle to the side of the road and stop.
- Sample Sentence: If you see the gas station on your right, pull over to get some fuel.
- Head back 🚶♂️🔙: To return in the direction from which you came.
- Sample Sentence: We took the wrong turn, so let’s head back to the previous intersection.
- Carry on 🚶♀️🔛: To continue going straight without turning or stopping.
- Sample Sentence: Carry on this road for about two miles, and you’ll see the shopping center on your right.
- Take a left/right 🚗↪️: To turn left or right at an intersection or junction.
- Sample Sentence: Take a left at the traffic lights, and the restaurant will be on your left.
- Go past 🚶♂️🚫: To continue moving ahead and pass by something.
- Sample Sentence: Go past the park, and the museum will be on your right-hand side.
- Cut through 🚶♂️⭕: To take a shortcut through a particular area or street.
- Sample Sentence: If you cut through the alley, you’ll reach the main square faster.
- Turn around 🔄⤴️: To reverse direction and face the opposite way.
- Sample Sentence: If you reach the dead-end, turn around and go back to the main road.
- Get to 🚶♂️🆗: To arrive or reach a particular destination.
- Sample Sentence: Follow the signs, and you’ll get to the train station in no time.
Round 1 – Let’s Warm Up
- Have you ever got blocked while asking for directions in a foreign country? Eg; could not find a word or did not know how to say something? How did you handle it?
- What landmarks or well-known buildings have you used as references when asking for directions in unfamiliar places?
- How do you usually navigate in a new city? Do you rely on maps, Google maps, or asking locals for directions?
- Share an interesting experience of asking for directions in a language you were learning. How did it go?
Round 3: The Final One – We Role Play!
In pairs, take turns participating in a role play of asking for directions. Each round should contain a minimum of 3 interactions
Use the vocabulary, phrasal verbs, and idioms from the handout to make the role play authentic. REMEMBER to decide which city you are roleplaying for! It can be difficult to find the Eiffel Tower in London even with the best indications!
Student A: Tourist
- Ask for directions
- Ask for clarification
- Thank the Local Passerby
Role Play as many times as you want. If you need a plan of a city, here are some really cool ones for you:
After The Club: The Follow Up
#FluiditàInglese #ApprendimentoInglese #Coaching . #MPEC #languagelearning #bilingualidentity #Englishcommunication #overcomingbarriers #fluency #confidence #personalcoaching #practice #competitiveness #internationalmarket #positiveaffirmations #bodylanguage #vocabularydevelopment #culturalawareness #italiancompanies #trainingprogram #flexibility #individualgoals #coachingprinciples #linguisticidentity #communicationgoals #transformativelearning #italianstudents #learningEnglish #motivation #resilience #selftalk #negativethoughts #languagebarriers #communicationbarriers #formal #informal #formalenglish #soundingformal #formalrequests #acceptingformally